Thursday, December 5, 2013

Working on Calm

Mae is wound for sound and has a faulty off switch.  I really have to teach her that calm is rewarded and desirable.  Instead of rushing to change clothes to take the dogs outside to play, I go up into my bedroom and chill out for half an hour.  I loathe rushing outside without a few minutes of no one making any demands on me.

Mae takes about 10 minutes to settle down.  Then I had a full twenty minutes of heaven and could work the dogs with a clear mind.

Outside, Mae did pretty good playing frisbee.  She erred a few times screaming while Krishna chased his toy.  I reminded her to shhhhhhhhhh and she remembered that good girls control their voices.

I decided to take her out in front for a bit.  Mae barked at a neighbor about 50 yards away.  We walked a bit and Mae was on high alert, barking at things she saw and heard.  She settled a bit and her hair went down.  She was able to sit and down, but not as relaxed as I'd have liked. We were out for about fifteen minutes and Mae was over threshhold for all of it :-(

No comments:

Post a Comment